Monday, February 9, 2009

Maybe this is TMI

The scene: Ladies' room at my work.
The time: 3pm-ish, aka a high time of ladies' room usage (does anyone else notice how there are certain hours that just seem busier than others?)

I walk into the restroom, minding my own business, and walk down to the far stall (the big one) because it's roomier. Maybe that's weird, but who doesn't want a bigger bathroom? Anyway, I turn into the stall (the door to which is WIDE open), and stop abruptly, as there is a woman standing in there talking on her cell phone. I was so startled that I just stopped, and then I paused, expecting her to walk out or something. But she just stood there and continued to talk on the phone while I stood there.

So after a few seconds of her using the stall for her chatting, I go to another stall. The woman stands in the stall for another minute or so, after which she begins pacing between the stall and the sink area, all the while talking about some very sick relative or friend or something, all while I and other people continue to walk in and out of the restroom.

Am I the only one who finds this terribly, terribly strange??

8 comments:

Malinda said...

Back when cell phones were first becoming readily available to the public, my dad once paced a McDonald's talking very loudly on his cell phone like it was his own phone booth. I was embarrassed. At least the woman chose to go into the restroom (a semi-private place.

Hooray for ballet lessons. I'm sure that you have hidden within you lots of grace and all those skills needed for ballet. I lack them as well. I'm gonna go salsa dancing next week (my first time since getting back from Ecuador). This is gonna be a trip.

Maxine Parrish said...

Any post that begins with "Maybe this is TMI" is right up my alley! And yeah, that's really weird. Awkward, I think, is the feeling that comes to mind. Oh, and well done on the potty pun (whether intended or not).

johnny said...

yup. super weird. maybe she's a really bad multi-tasker?

katie said...

That kind of stuff really bugs me and it happens all the time! Maybe you should have given her a reason to want to leave the restroom. wink wink...

MacMui Mom said...

Yuck! I have been in restrooms where a person was using the toilet and talking on the phone. It is really gross. I say go outside or into a conference room. The bathroom is completely inappropriate!

Missy Johnson said...

Um...I always pace around the bathroom talking on the phone. Why is that weird?

Just kidding.

Elizabeth Checchio said...

I can't imagine that the restroom was the most private place...it seems strange. And I hate talking on the phone in a tiled area, you get tons of echo/feedback noise.

Anonymous said...

i always go to the bigger bathroom too!