Thursday, March 27, 2008

Unpicky Eaterhood

I am not even kidding when I say that one of my favorite things about Dan (amongst many others!) is that he is one of the least picky eaters I've ever met in my life. There are very few things that he actively dislikes, and even those aren't real dislikes. For instance, he convinced himself as a child that he dislikes baby corn. Mainly because he had recently learned the word "appetite" and wanted to use it in a sentence. "I've lost my appetite" (for the coincidentally served baby corn) seemed to fit.

I, on the other hand, never used to think I was a picky eater until I was around him. And I really do like pretty much all vegetables and fruits and good-for-you-things. It's only with the unhealthy things that I get choosy; sweets can't be TOO sweet, chocolate always defeats candy (and candy hardly ever wins even without chocolate as a contestant), nothing gummy (except the occasional Swedish fish), and plain chocolate must be dark. Processed foods tend to weird me out, and the fresh produce at Reading Terminal makes me hazardously ecstatic.

Dan's willingness to eat most anything is particularly exciting for me because it means that I can experiment with new and random and sometimes weird (but typically tasty, such as spaghetti squash casserole made with cottage cheese...I promise it tastes way better than it sounds) recipes and he'll always eat it, and usually like it. In fact, the problematic part is getting him to say which things he likes and which he really likes, so I can make them more frequently.

The one thing that he unreservedly adores is my vegetarian chili. Tasty, absurdly nutritious, and warm. MMM. So thanks, Danny, for helping me have a "specialty." :)

3 comments:

Morgan said...

You *are* the pickiest eater I know! DDH, on the other hand, is a human garbage disposal.

whitney.evan said...

that chili sounds good! can i have the recipe?? love ya!

Preethi said...

Absolutely! Admittedly, it's sort of random what ends up going in to it, but I'll give you the general gist. Maybe I'll post it so I don't end up taking up 4 pages worth of comments.